These are just some of the programs that Gail and Denton Kurtz use to help train your student successfully
- Attention Focus Development by Joan Smith. Training of focusing, refocusing and extending span of attention.
- Away We Go by Paula Tallal and Michael Merzenich/Scientific Learning Corporation. Training for younger children in early language development. This program is excellent for developing the skills and understanding needed, by young children, prior to their entering Fast ForWord-I.
- Balametrics by Frank Belgau and the extension of Dr. Belgau’s work by Nancy Rowe (which she has named “NeuroNet”).Training of vestibular balance for visual tracking, reading fluency, attention span development, multi-tasking and intra- and inter-hemisphere communication. The activities integrate the vestibular (attention), auditory (speech and language) and visual (thinking and problem solving) systems to increase one’s ability to sustain and self-direct attention, and to multi-task, in order to create a foundation for the attentional, communicative and academic demands of language, reading, writing and math.
- Brain Gym by P. & G. Dennison. Training of personal centering, being in “present time”, and intra- and inter-hemisphere communication.
- Coordination and Sequential Processing of Meta-sensory Tasks from Donald Lyman’s work. Training of intra-hemisphere or inter-hemisphere communication and speed of communication through simple to complex tasks and by increasing speed required to complete the tasks.
- Drawing with Language for Handwriting by Phyllis Lindamood®. Training in the meta-cognitive language and motor practice necessary for the precise strokes of handwriting and development of handwriting speed.
- Easing Into Reading by Joan Smith This program strengthens active working and sequential memory, short and long term memory for letter and numerical symbols. It also improves word naming/retrieval capabilities.
- Fast ForWord® – I by Paula Tallal and Michael Merzenich/Scientific Learning Corporation. Training of Phonemic Awareness, Phonological Awareness, speed of Auditory Processing, early language skills, active Auditory Working Memory, Visual and Auditory Attention Focus, event sequencing and language comprehension. This is primary/foundational training for remediating Central Auditory Processing Dysfunction and Phonological Awareness (Phonetic) Dyslexia.
- 4Word by Paula Tallal and Michael Merzenich/Scientific Learning Corporation. Adolescent and adult version of Fast ForWord-I. Same training as Fast ForWord-I but with games and graphics more readily accepted by older children and adults.
- Handwriting without Tears by Jan Olsen, OTR.
- Interactive Metronome® by James Cassily, et al. Training of rhythmicity, timing, motor planning and sequencing to improve the capacity to attend, learn and perform executive functions. It is also helpful in developing reading fluency.
- Irlen Method by Helen Irlen. Colored overlays or colored filters (if obtained by the client) worn in frames are used to minimize or eliminate the perceptual distortions discovered, in some people, by Helen Irlen (Reading by the Colors). Denton Kurtz is a Certified Irlen Screener.
- Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing Program for Reading, Spelling and Speech – Third Edition® (LiPS® ) (formerly Auditory Discrimination in Depth® by Charles and Pat Lindamood) by Patricia and Phyllis Lindamood®*
Multisensory training which remediates Phonological Awareness (Phonetic) Dyslexia for persons of any age. The oral-motor training of this program also improves self checking, spelling and speech articulation.
The Kurtz Center has always used synthetic phonics approaches for training LD/Dyslexic Readers and Spellers. We have discovered the best approaches available and our clients are always successful.
- Master the Code by Ken Gibson. Reading program which focuses instruction on the integration of phonemic awareness, phonics, and fluency training.
- Memory Training Program by Joan Smith. Auditory and Visual memory training for symbol imagery, recognition and recall for letter and number sequences.
- Networking Between Modalities by Denton Kurtz. Multisensory memory training for Spelling, Reading and Math.
- On Cloud Nine Math: Visualizing and Verbalizing for Math® by Kimberly Tuley and Nanci Bell®* Trains math concepts for reasoning and problem solving with numbers using manipulatives, imagery and language.
- Orienting/Centering Technique for Visual Tracking. Mental focusing techniques adapted from ideas in the book, “The Gift of Dyslexia”, by Ronald D. Davis.
- Precision Teaching by Lindsley and Haughton. Training of the brain to speed up the performance processes of reading, spelling, writing and math calculation.
- Preparing the Brain for Learning Activities from Joan Smith’s works and expanded by Gail Kurtz. Training of auditory and visual active working memory storage and retrieval, intra- and inter- hemisphere communication and coordination, left/right orientation and directionality, basic development of imagery for language, and attention focus.
- Ready, Set, Go for Language Competency by Joan Smith. This program helps develop early language, sentence structure and grammar skills.
- Rhythmic Writing by National Institute of Learning Disabilities. Training of handwriting for all, but especially helpful for those with visual perception and motor planning and output difficulties.
- Seeing Stars : Symbol Imagery for Phonemic Awareness, Sight Words and Spelling by Nanci Bell®* Training of symbol imagery and integrating reading and spelling to improve both.
- Step ForWord (FFWd-II) by Paula Tallal and Michael Merzenich/Scientific Learning Corporation. Continues to build on all skills learned in Fast ForWord-I, but at more advanced levels. Emphasis on visual memory, tracking and skills which enhance and facilitate reading.
- Vanilla Vocabulary: Visualized/Verbalized Vocabulary® by Nanci Bell® and Phyllis Lindamood®. Training understanding of vocabulary and long term memory for the words through the Visualizing and Verbalizing techniques.
- Visual Symbol Imagery Through Moving Out from Donald Lyman’s work. Multisensory training which enhances memory for symbols, sight words and syllables. Also assists in training fluid and legible writing. Useful in developing word naming and the ability to memorize whole words as pictures for treating the word naming/retrieval and visual dyslexias.
- Visualizing and Verbalizing for Language Comprehension and Thinking® by Nanci Bell®* Training the meta-cognitive processes of thinking at a conscious level which leads to automatic, subconscious functioning when listening and reading or in oral and written expression. The later stages of this training advances a person’s conceptual/gestalt (abstract/relational) thinking.
- Word Finding Intervention Program by Diane J. German, Ph. D. Provides specific strategies and techniques to facilitate retrieval of specific words in single word naming and discourse contexts.
*The following disclaimer has been requested by Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes®, Inc. in an effort to differentiate between their centers and independent centers, or individuals who, even though trained by them, are carrying on the work on their own, but maintain no affiliation with them: Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes®, Inc. in no way guarantees the quality of the materials or services that may be supplied by the Kurtzes. The Kurtzes are not affiliated with, certified, licensed, monitored or sponsored by Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes®, Inc., Nanci Bell®, Phyllis Lindamood® or Pat Lindamood®.